Top Ten Camping Knots
You may camp with a guy/gal who is always running around camp, setting up all kinds of lines and tarps and stuff. While you're still taking your tent out of its bag, they've already made a covered area for firewood, set up a clothesline, and are working on what looks to be an elaborate woven hat. It'll probably look dumb on them, but that's not the point. If you're at all jealous of their skills, here are some basic camping knots that you should learn so you can hold your own out there at the campsite.
7. Phantom knot
This is the perfect knot if you don't want any knots on your line. Start by grabbing the cord in both hands, then set it back down. Done and done.
6. Clove hitch
The clove hitch is one of the go-to knots for tying a cord onto an object, especially cylindrical objects like trees. It has some drawbacks, but is incredibly handy in a lot of situations, like tying off a bear bag line, tying one end of a tarp line (the other end should be knot #2 on this list) or parking your horse at the saloon.
5. Big Tangled Mess knot
The big tangled mess knot usually happens accidentally. If you're looking to make one, just cram a bunch of cord into your pack and then go hiking. It's especially easy to "tie" when using a long cord, like the one you packed for bear bagging.
4. Bowline knot
The bowline knot forms a quick and easy fixed loop which has the benefit of also being easy to untie. Perfect for tent stake loops, or the tie-in loop of your bear bag line. I gave it a better ranking than the clove hitch, because it can also be tied around an object, so it can function as one end of a tarp line, clothesline, etc.
3. Phantom bend
The phantom bend is a lot like the phantom knot, but it is useful for when you have two separate lines, and want to keep them separate. Start with two separate lines, then you're done.
2. Taut-line hitch
The taut-line hitch is an adjustable loop that you can tie around a tree or stake or whatever. You can then slide the knot along the line to tighten the line, which makes it great for setting up tarps or clotheslines.
1. Garlic knot
Arguably the most delicious knot on this list, the garlic knot is typically made from pizza dough scraps tied in an overhand knot and generously brushed with oil, cheese and garlic. You can make them over a campfire inside of some tin foil.
I have an account on Moosejaw.com
I've checked out as a Guest on Moosejaw.com
I'm totally new to Moosejaw.comCreate an Account
Access all of the Moosejaw Reward Dollars you earn on every purchase.
Enjoy special offers available only to our account holders.
Be the first to see the latest styles, events and madness.
People will like you more.
Enter your order number and email address below.
- The Bonus Card can be used like a regular Gift Card for multiple redemptions on Moosejaw.com or in Moosejaw shops before 1/29/2024.
- Any remaining balance on 1/30/2024 will be canceled (that's why we call it a "Bonus" Gift Card).
- Use code BONUSCARD during checkout to get the deal, the Bonus Card will be added to your cart. Orders with multiple qualifying items will receive multiple Bonus Cards.
- Each item over $99 gets a $20 Bonus Card, over $149 gets a $30 Bonus Card, over $199 gets a $40 Bonus Card, over $249 gets a $50 Bonus Card, and over $499 gets a $100 Bonus Card.
- The Bonus Cards will be emailed to you after your order ships. Please blame MMB.
- If you return an item that included a free Bonus Card, we will deduct any used amount of the Bonus Card from your credit. Sorry to be so mean about it.
- Qualifying item value is after any other applicable discounts and before tax and shipping charges.
- The deal cannot be combined with other promos, is good for in-stock items only, and cannot be applied to prior purchases. Exclusions may apply.
- Someone told me to tell you use this card like cash. Cannot be replaced if lost or stolen. Not redeemable for cash or credit.
- The deal is good 11/28/2023 - 12/10/2023.
- Offer is subject to change without prior notice.
About this whole 40% Off Select Carhartt Hoodies thing:
- Applies to select styles only.
- The deal is not good on previous purchases or out of stock items.
- Exclusions may apply.
- Offer subject to change at any time.
FREE Shipping Offers:
- Get FREE 4-6 Day Ground Shipping on all orders over $49.00 - or - orders with Moosejaw items over $12.00.
Bike Shipping Info and Offers:
- Get FREE 4-6 Day Ground Shipping on all bike accessory orders over $49.00.
- Complete bikes will ship 4-6 Day for $4.95