At Moosejaw we know two things: there are never enough cool, new outdoor products, and there’s not enough diversity in the outdoor industry. So, we got together with some of our friends and created the Moosejaw Outdoor Accelerator. This new program will help a diverse group of entrepreneurs create solutions for enjoying the outdoors with more comfort, safety, sustainability and inclusion.
The Moosejaw Outdoor Accelerator will provide four chosen outdoor start-ups with in a comprehensive program to turbocharge their growth:
- An 8-week intensive business mentoring program guided by ICELab based on its established curriculum, including 5 weeks on location at Western Colorado University in Gunnison, CO and a week in Salt Lake City, UT. On-site lodging is included.
- Sessions with Moosejaw experts on strategy, marketing, ecommerce and retail.
- Connections with potential investors and a large outdoor recreation network.
- Participation at the Summer Outdoor Retailer trade show in Salt Lake City, UT.
- Product launch on Moosejaw.com and in Moosejaw stores with a complete marketing and social media package.
- Participants receive free legal seminars from Holland & Hart LLP geared towards outdoor rec companies.
- The Moosejaw Outdoor Accelerator and participants will receive press support from Blister.
Here's How It All Works
Jan 2 to Feb 2: Startups Apply
We are looking for early stage companies that have a product or service that addresses a compelling need in the outdoor industry. The product or service needs to be well defined but can be pre-revenue. We are especially interested in diverse candidates and/or products or services that will improve outdoor inclusivity. Submit Your Application
Feb 24: Finalists Announced
The Accelerator Judging Panel reviews all of the applications and chooses 10 finalists.
Feb 24 to Mar 6: Consumer Voting
Moosejaw customers vote on their favorite start-ups.
Mar 14: Winners Announced
The Accelerator Judging Panel announces the four start-ups to participate in the 2022 Moosejaw Outdoor Accelerator. At least two of the winners will have founders from underrepresented groups within the outdoor industry.
May 8 to Jun 29: The Accelerator
Winning start-ups complete the 8-week program. The first two weeks are virtual, followed by a week in Boulder, CO and 5 weeks in Gunnison.
Meet Our Sponsors
Frequently Asked Questions (aka FAQ)
Startups and early stage (pre-seed or seed) companies from any US state can apply. These companies will typically be pre-revenue, but with a well-developed business plan and potentially a prototype for physical products. We’re targeting founders from under-represented groups in the outdoor industry or businesses that would help improve inclusivity of outdoor participation; however, neither are a requirement for applying and selection.
The Moosejaw Outdoor Accelerator comes at no cost to apply or to finalists. We do not require any fees or equity grants.
While we do not provide funding directly, all costs, including lodging, will be covered for the winning startups. We will also help with investment mentoring, legal advice, and connections to potential investors.
Moosejaw’s very own Eoin Comerford, CEO; John Norton, Principal, Norton Global; Mike Dill, Partner, Holland & Hart.