MOOSEJAW JOB POSTINGS
Moosejaw is the greatest place in the world to work according to the owner's mom. Moosejaw has a thriving internet business and shops locations throughout Michigan (Ann Arbor, Birmingham, Detroit, East Lansing, Grosse Pointe, Partridge Creek, and Rochester Hills), as well as shops in Chicago, IL, Boulder, CO, Kansas City, MO and Natick, MA.
To work at Moosejaw, you've gotta have a decent sense of humor and an enthusiastic attitude. Knowledge of outdoor apparel and equipment is a big plus.
Here's how you apply for a job at Moosejaw:
1. Scroll down to check out our current job openings below. They're always being updated, except when they're not. Which is never. If you want to be a Moosejaw intern, check out our Internships Page thing. An intern designed and built it, so we gave her an A.
2. Complete our application by clicking here, saving it to your computer and emailing it back to us at email@example.com. I forgot to include a step - you must complete the application before emailing it back to us. We may or may not accept blank applications.
3. I just like the number three.
4. If you're interested in a shop position, stop by and say hi. They'll let you fill out an application right then and there and may even give you a free tattoo (temporary not permanent).
5. If you don't like any of the above options and still want to give a shout out click here to email us.
Current Job Openings (click to view posting details)
WebSphere System Administrator
We're looking for a WebSphere System Administrator to add to our headquarters in Madison Heights, Michigan. The WebSphere System Administrator position is a newly created role for us and the really important thing you should know about this position is that it involves ecommerce and WebSphere Commerce. And it's a killer leadership opportunity that'll allow for some awesome Mr. Miyagi style mentoring. Wax on, wax off.
The WebSphere System Administrator is responsible for supporting Moosejaw.com's ongoing operation, resolving system issues as they arise, and recommending improvements for site viability. This person will be expected to provide senior-level oversight for the overall eco-system of our online environment including infrastructure, web, middleware and database layers and their interactions. Think of this technical eco-system as a forest with many oxygen-providing trees. Except replace the oxygen with outdoor gear and apparel. And replace the trees with layers of technical stuff. I hope that sounded philosophical.
- Investigating, analyzing and providing long-term solutions to technical issues
- Developing a comprehensive understanding of the applications and infrastructure within Moosejaw's ecommerce environment and how they impact user experience and site performance, stability, and quality
- Working closely with the development team to stay informed of changes that could affect functionality and site operations
- Coordinating across teams and working to ensure the appropriate focus and sense of urgency is applied to all production issues
- Working with third party suppliers and vendors for support, upgrades and implementations
- Building collaborative relationships with Moosejaw peeps. Lots of collaboration. And love.
- Installing, configuring, maintaining and supporting web-based server applications that predominately run on WebSphere Commerce. I tried to use as many verbs in the last sentence as possible
- Configuring and maintaining the middleware applications supporting the online business, including managing and configuring for performance and security
- Providing on-call support for service interruptions, ensuring timely recovery from outages, performing root cause analysis and implementing preventative measures
- Playing a key project role in the selection, design and implementation of new technologies
- Writing scripts to proactively manage the application infrastructure
- Documenting the application infrastructure and sharing this documentation stuff with others as necessary
- Participating in a lot of projects. Think providing work estimates, partnering with others to design and execute on projects that enhance system availability or application capabilities.
- Providing technical leadership to others in the IT department and business to address ongoing business needs
- Assisting the IT team with all department-related functions and keeping the VP of Technology informed on all necessary matters
- Doing really cool stuff that's worth telling your best friend, neighbor, ex-g/b friend and creepy uncle about
Things we'd like you to bring to the table. Part 1.
- These are the things our VP of Technology classifies as have-to-haves. It's a catchy phrase, I know.
- At least 3 years of experience in UNIX/Linux environments. Amazon (AWS) hosting experience is a big plus.
- At least 3 years of experience in Java-based IBM WebSphere ecommerce environments
- At least 3 years of experience with IBM DB2 database environments
- Experience with HTTP web services, IP networking, Java-based applications and ecommerce platforms such as IBM WebSphere Commerce (WCS)
- A solid understanding of network technologies, LDAP, application security, databases and MQ Messaging
- Experience building solutions in a distributed architecture and ability to understand the interactions from end-to-end
- Proven experience with scripting as a server application integrator/administrator
- Ability to guide and mentor others through the design, build and implementation phases of system deployments
- This is the really, REALLY nice-to-have section. Our VP of Technology is into capitalization.
- Experience migrating from WebSphere version 6 to version 7 is a definite bonus
- Experience administering retail locations and hardware, including routers, proxies, etc.
- Software experience with Eclipse, ANT, source version control (SVN), etc.
- Task management software experience (setting up and administering JIRA is preferred)
Here's some other non-technical stuff we'd like you to have:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field is preferred
- General curiosity for complex problem solving. I believe the word "general" implies genius. Or not.
- Ability to foster a sense of urgency, identify and overcome obstacles, balance the big picture with day-to-day activities/issues, and is persistent in the pursuit of results
- Must be extremely self-motivated, entrepreneurial, and innovative. Must be able to maintain a high degree of flexibility and enjoy a team based, collaborative culture where open communication, prudent risk taking and idea generation from all levels are encouraged and rewarded as part of the pursuit of corporate results.
- Must Love the Madness and embrace the Moosejaw culture. Plus a witty sense of humor helps.
Things we'll bring to the table:
- Amazing discounts on outdoor apparel, gear and Moosejaw products
- Casual dress code. Very casual. Think jeans, t-shirts and flip flops.
- Coworkers who will laugh at your jokes. Even if they're just being polite.
- Cubicle-free work environment. However, you are encouraged to build a fort around yourself using couch cushions, pillows and blankets from your mom's house.
- Ping pong, a hammock lounge, dart shooting, a beer fridge and decent music. The list could go on, but I like to be all mysterious and stuff.
- Great 401 (k) plan and benefits package. Sorry I had to write that even though it's boring.
How to Apply:
Email your resume and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write "WebSphere System Administrator" in the subject line of your email so we know what you're applying for. I hate quotation marks.
Assistant Shop Managers
We're always on the lookout for awesome assistant managers to help manage our shops and staff. Plus be enthusiastic, engaging and fun while assisting custies with sales and product info. I'd say our assistant shop managers are tha bomb. If that term wasn't so 2005.
Things we'd like you to bring to the table:
- Open schedule availability
- A creative mindset and a passion for customer service
- A witty sense of humor also helps
- 2+ years of retail/sales experience and outdoor gear knowledge preferred
Things we'll bring to the table:
- Incredible employee discounts on Moosejaw merchandise.
- Cool work environment. Coworkers are genuinely fun to be around. Especially me.
- Great 401(k) and benefit package. I know blah, blah, blah. So boring.
How to Apply:
Email your resume or Moosejaw application to email@example.com. Although we'd like to think we're psychic, we're really not. So please make sure you let us know which position and store you're applying for by writing it in the subject line of your email. Word up.
Sales Associates, All Shop Locations
We're seeking sales associates for all shop locations. This job involves sales, customer service and humans. Or Homo Sapiens and stuff if you prefer to be technical. The technical part of that sentence was the word "stuff."
Moosejaw sales associates have an enthusiastic, fun and positive attitude while assisting customers with sales and product information. A good sense of humor, creative mindset and passion for customer service are needed. Like an I-love-you-so-much-I-want-to-have-a-million-babies-with-you passion for customer service. Plus outdoor gear knowledge is preferred.
How to Apply:
Apply in person at the shop of your choice or email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Don't forget to include which shop you wanna work at and your best self-portrait sketch using only old-school pencil. This description has a lot more hyphens than normal. JK. About the sketch thing. Not the hyphen thing.
Moosejaw Models Wanted
We're looking for a few female models, age 18-25, to pose gracefully in the coolest products we carry. Models will be used for in-house photo shoots at our headquarters located in Madison Heights, Michigan. This will be great exposure (and I don't mean indecent by any means) for up-and-coming models as they'll appear in our print, catalog and online material.
- Modeling experience is preferred.
- Must be 18 years of age or older. No ifs, ands or buts.
- Michigan applicants only. Although we love the rest of the country, we're quite partial to Michigan. Oh yeah, and Moosejaw will not be paying for expenses to travel to our headquarters. So it'd probably save you a lot of money in gas if you live in state.
How to Apply:
Email your resume or work history, along with no more than 3 pictures, to email@example.com. We're very serious about the 3-picture limit, so if you send 4 we'll think you're not great about following directions. Sorry to be so mean.
Rewards Points Summary
Customer Service FAQs
Shipping Rates + Info
Returns + Exchanges
Price Match Policy
Terms + Conditions
Moosejaw Shop Events
Work at Moosejaw
Enroll in Rewards
High Altitude Bonus