With the creation of the BRD by Metolius, we have achieved a simple, safe and bombproof belay/rappel device. The principle behind the BRD is very simple: as the load of a falling climber is applied, the carabiner is pulled into the scientifically engineered rope slots and the rope is squeezed between the carabiner and the BRD. The result is that a tremendous amount of friction is generated, allowing the belayer to easily catch long, hard falls with relatively light hand pressure. For rappelling, the BRD will give you a relatively slow and controlled (and we feel safer) rappel. If the rappel is moving too slowly, you can re-orient the device for a speedier descent.
FEATURES of the Metolius BRD - Belay Rappel Device
- A versatile, lightweight belay/rappel device with engineered rope slots that give the belayer added control by increasing friction on the rope
- Single or double rope compatible (8 mm to 11 mm ropes)
- Increased thermal mass and cooling fins to dissipate heat
- Anodized for longer wear
- CNC machined from 6061 T-6 aluminum
- Available with or without the Element locking carabiner
- Meets the new UIAA standard for rope braking devices
The SPECS of the Metolius BRD - Belay Rappel Device
ALL CLIMBING SALES ARE FINAL.