Internships are a great way to get hands-on experience in your field of study. And I'm not just saying that because we want you to work for us for free. There are so many famous interns who have paved the way for the students of today. Just think Steven Spielberg, Oprah, and Bill Gates all started out as interns. I can just imagine how much better off they could have been with a Moosejaw internship under their belt.
To work at Moosejaw, you've gotta have a decent sense of humor and an enthusiastic attitude. Knowledge of outdoor apparel and equipment is a big plus.
Why you should intern with Moosejaw: I'll make this decision supes easy for you
- Real world experience. Not to be confused with MTV's version.
- No coffee runs. Only because your supervisors would get in big trouble. Especially if I didn't get any of the said coffee.
- Flexible hours. We will work with your schedule. Easy peasy.
- Fun. Fun. More fun. I think you get the idea.
- Casual dress code. We're a jeans and sneakers kind of company.
- Very casual. If you dressed up every day, it would freak everyone out.
- Amazing discounts on outdoor apparel, gear and MJ products. You'll get the hook up.
- Oh and some team bonding. We're like one big happy family.
- Karaoke. Dogs. Free beer Friday's. Roof-top parties. LOVE THE MADNESS
2014 Summer Internships Offered at Moosejaw's Headquarters
We're looking for awesome interns who Love the Madness, heart outdoor gear and apparel and are just really interested in gaining a ton of hands-on experience over the summer. Our interns are like sponge-like sea anemones who just absorbs knowledge and stuff. Especially stuff.
Our internships are based out of our HQ in Madison Heights, Michigan and are unpaid. I'm going to say that again in case you missed it: our internships are unpaid. Sorry. If you want to intern for us, you've gotta be an active college student (can't be considered if you've already graduated). We're also looking for a 16-24 hour/week time commitment, but the schedule and length of the internship are totally flexible. Students must be able to receive college credit or provide documentation of the educational benefit of their specific internship experience.
There's a bunch of other stuff we look for in our interns. Since it applies to each and every internship we offer, we'll just include the dets here. Okay, here goes. Proficiency in Excel. Killer problem solving, project management and organizational skills. Self-motivation and ability to think in out-of-the-box terms to formulate new and creative ways of doing things. And last, but certainly not least must have a strong affinity for the Moosejaw brand, Love the Madness and embrace the Moosejaw culture.
Moosejaw Summer 2014 Internships (click to view posting details)
Buying Internship, Outdoor Gear
This intern will assist our gear buyers with their data entry and administrative needs. Basically, our gear buyers buy sweet stuff. They buy things like sleeping bags, tents, packs, travel, climbing, stoves/filters/cookware, roof racks, snowshoes, and accessories (food, first aid, compasses, knives, trekking poles, etc.). Plus a lot of other stuff. I'm not going to list all of the other stuff because I want you use your imagination.
- Creating templates in "buyer order upload" format for upcoming seasons
- Creating replenishment assortment templates
- Creating and updating vendor contact spreadsheets
- Submitting approved orders to vendors and un-submitting in Moosejaw's web-based system
- Following up on and tracking previously placed orders
- Checking vendor confirmations for accuracy and emailing buyers any discrepancies
- Checking on backorders and updating buyers via email
- Verifying the accuracy of product information on Moosejaw's website
- Checking vendor websites for link and buy-now functionality
- Analyzing the competitive marketplace, including monitoring competitor and vendor websites
Outdoor lovas please apply. Total make-out style. Product knowledge is key. Plus you should have an interest in pursuing a purchasing-related career.
How to Apply:
Email your resume to email@example.com. Write Buying Internship in the subject line of your email. I hate quotation marks.
This person will assist our internet marketing team with developing relevant and effective content throughout Moosejaw.com. To be good at this, you should probably have an insane passion for writing copy. Like such insane passion that it'll creep out your desk neighbors as they envision you making out with the written word.
- Creating, editing, and proofing relevant and unique content for Moosejaw.com
- Assisting with content creation to improve Search Engine Optimization (SEO), including developing keyword lists and implementing keywords into original copy
- Communicating with supervisors to ensure copy is on brand
- Assisting the internet marketing team with executing new content strategies and seasonal updates
- Becoming familiar with search engine rankings and best practices for improving natural search traffic
- Analyzing the competitive marketplace, including monitoring competitor websites and promotions to recommend areas of improvement for Moosejaw.com
The copywriter intern must have super impressive spelling and grammar skills and totally fancy creative thinking skills. Experience with Google Adwords and other keyword tools, HTML and other web development coding, web analytics terminology, capabilities and reporting, along with an understanding and knowledge of outdoor and adventure sports is preferred, but not required.
How to Apply:
Email your resume and 2 short writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure you write Copywriting Internship in the subject line of your email so we know what you're applying for.
Retail Marketing Internship
Essentially this internship entails retail and marketing. And other stuff like yoga in the park and parties in shops. We were trying to think of a more creative internship title. Like Urban Planner of Marketing in a Retail Environment Internship. But my mean boss nixed it. So much for creative genius.
- Helping with the planning, development, implementation and tracking of retail marketing projects for stores
- Assisting in responding to the email@example.com email account and driving ongoing customer interaction by responding to multiple character emails
- Creating head turning, like the best you've ever seen, store signage
- Monitoring and updating the retail marketing budget. Sounds totally boring. Sorry.
- Representing the Madness in the promotion of creative and fun store events
- The Marketing team is a lot of fun to hang out with. They told me to say that.
Nothing maje to note. That's how the cools say major. But if you're pursuing a degree in marketing or have experience working in a retail store that's a plus.
How to Apply:
Email your resume and an explanation of why you think you'd be a good fit for the internship to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to let us know what internship you're applying for by using the title in the subject line of your email.
Social Media Marketing Internship
Social media is an art similar to Jackson Pollock's blobs and splashes of paint, but in a social media sense. Verbal blobs and splashes. This internship involves assisting with our social media efforts through Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, as well as, Moosejaw characters, promotions and customer email responses. We're looking for someone who is an excellent observer of people, trends, and pop culture, and has a strong affinity for the Moosejaw brand.
- Assisting with the management of our social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, etc.
- Developing and implementing social media campaigns to drive increased customer involvement, build followers and drive online sales
- Answering customer posts on social media channels
- Coordinating social giveaways and prize fulfillment
- Assisting with Moosejaw character responses to customers, including engaging the customer in Moosejaw Madness and building customer loyalty
- Researching the latest social media sites and best practices
- Analyzing the competitive marketplace, including monitoring competitor websites and social media campaigns
Hands-on experience as a user of social media is a must. Experience with internet marketing, search engine optimization, and web analytics is a plus, but not required. If you're highly addicted to Facebook and Twitter, your friends may think you need professional help but we think you're totes awesome. Yeah, you read that right - I totally said totes. #embarrassing.
How to Apply:
Email your resume to email@example.com. But that's not all. Sharpen your number 2 pencil because it's about to get all homework-ie up in here.
Homework: You can go in any direction and be as detailed as you'd like. There's really not a right or wrong answer, we just want to understand your approach to social media marketing: Our annual gear sale is coming up. The main message is "up to 40% off all the best gear." How would you promote this on our different social channels (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)? Please draft your posts and explain your strategy.
Visual Merchandising Internship
Assisting with the design and development of our in-store visual merchandising strategy is the name of the game for this internship. This internship involves assisting with placement, diagram illustration and construction, and getting down and dirty in the wood shop. The ability to draw stick men/women is a plus. Stick dogs is a plus plus.
- Helping with the creation of templates for current and future seasonal floor plans
- Assisting with floor set execution
- Modifying current plans as needed
- Training the store team on visual standards
- Working with assistant buyers to determine and detail product delays
- Verifying the accuracy of visual merchandising issues
- Analyzing the ROI of the merchandising by fixture
- Researching and analyzing the competitive marketplace in terms of visual merchandising
- Co-managing a visual merchandising calendar
- Participating in key meetings with the team
The visual merchandising intern should have an interest in pursuing a purchasing or visual merchandising career. Lifting of up to 50 lbs. may be required (so start doin' your push-ups). Outdoor product knowledge is preferred.
While this internship is based out of our headquarters in Madison Heights, Michigan it will require travel to some or all of our Michigan locations.
How to Apply:
Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Write Visual Merchandising Internship in the subject line of your email. Pretty please.
Web Content Internship
This internship involves gathering and updating product and madness content on Moosejaw.com.
- Enhancing existing product description features and specifications
- Adding and updating keyword data for product comparison tool and search result filtering features
- Auditing and updating warranty information for the brands we carry
- Competitive analysis of product page content to find and execute areas for improvement
- Updating and building HTML size guides
- Gathering and uploading video content for products and brands
- Writing copy for key styles and brands
The web content intern should have basic knowledge of HTML, as well as a basic understanding of the outdoor industry, outdoor activities and the products we carry on Moosejaw.com. I'm sure you think this section is all about basics. You're wrong because you'll also need more-than-basic, super insane organizational skills and attention to detail. Plus really good writing skills with the ability to translate product technologies and information into decent copy.
How to Apply:
Email your resume to email@example.com. If you've learned nothing else from reading all of these internship postings, I hope you take away the importance of an email subject line. That's all.
Testimonials from Real Moosejaw Interns. Pinky swear, we made none of this up.
“My greatest non-technical take-away from MJ is that cool workplaces do exist and MJ is an extraordinary example of it. My fate is not destined for a dreary office in the IT dungeon of some huge business, but I can work in a fun-loving, relaxed environment with awesome people, selling awesome products.” – IT intern
“I truly learned what it would be like to be a buyer and assistant buyer in this industry. By doing this internship, I wanted to make sure that what I aspire to be (a buyer) is truly what I want. Before this internship, I had no idea what being a buyer was all about. By seeing the team in action while I was here, has made me that much more motivated to reach for my dreams and land my dream job.” – Buying intern
“I definitely learned a lot about what it takes to run an internet retail business. It was very interesting to be involved in the process of getting just one product on the site: what it took and how many people contributed, etc. I liked understanding what every department did and their importance, too. I had never really worked in a retail environment before, or written for retail, so the hands-on education I received was great.” – Web Content Copywriter intern
“My greatest take-away was that I can actually have fun while working. Over the past few months I have learned so much about Moosejaw and the field in which I want to go into (marketing, social media, content writing, etc). There was never a Friday that rolled around that I wasn’t super excited to come into the office.” – Marketing intern
Rewards Points Summary
Customer Service FAQs
Shipping Rates + Info
Returns + Exchanges
Price Match Policy
Terms + Conditions
Moosejaw Shop Events
Work at Moosejaw
Enroll in Rewards
High Altitude Bonus